Welcome to the West Covina Unified School District's Home Based Independent Study Home Page. Here you will find information regarding our calendar of events, frequently asked questions, and links to educational resources.
Frequently Asked Questions about Home-Based Independent Study
What is Home Based Independent Study?
- Home Based Independent Study (HBIS) is an alternative learning option made available in the West Covina Unified School District that allows parents to help their children receive their education at home, instead of the traditional classroom setting. Any student enrolled in a West Covina Unified school, or who is eligible to enroll may home school with us.
What qualifications does the district require of the parent?
- A desire and a willingness to work with your child and the HBIS teacher. There is no other ‘special’ credentialing needed by the parent. The HBIS teacher will instruct, support, encourage, educate and work alongside the parent as they help their child learn and grow.
How does the family work with the HBIS teacher?
- On a mutually agreed upon time, the teacher, parent and student meet together. The teacher provides lessons, support materials, tests and encouragement. The student gives their work to the teacher to review, assess and evaluate. The parent asks questions, discusses concerns, successes, joys and hopes for the next set of lessons. Throughout the week, the parent and student work in concert together a minimum of four hours each day.
Why not enroll in a private group, or just go it alone?
- Working with the school district assures the parent that their child is learning their grade level standards. The district also provides standardized testing at the end of each year as well as benchmark testing to measure each student’s progress. The district maintains official school records for each student that are transferable to other schools, districts, and universities. Access to an experienced, credentialed teacher gives the parent confidence in their own abilities to meet the needs of their child. Also there is no fee for any of the core materials, including student books and resources.
Does the WCUSD HBIS offer park days, field trips, or other extra curricular activities?
- Yes! For students in grade K-8, field trips, park days and academic group workshops are offered monthly. Attendance at each activity is voluntary and is scheduled around the needs, desires and requests of the families enrolled. High school students have the opportunity to participate in activities offered through their school of enrollment.
What if I have more questions, or want to enroll?
- Using the contact information please contact us and we will be happy to answer your questions!