WHO RIDES THE BUS?
In the State of California, furnishing transportation to students is not required of school districts. The Governing Board of the West Covina Unified School District recognizes transportation of our students as a necessity, and therefore has adopted Board Policy 3541; which establishes the privilege of transportation for students who reside beyond walking distances from the school of their enrollment.
Riding on a bus, whether going to and from school, while going to or coming from a field trip, or to a special event, requires all participants to act in a responsible and safe manner. We want our students to enjoy their ride and hopefully, take advantage of other forms of public transportation later in life. So, observe the rules and instructions of the bus driver. The busing rules are distributed at each school prior to students riding the bus.
WHICH BUS TO RIDE?
Each school will have a schedule showing related times and bus stops. Parents should discuss the schedule and instruct their children about necessary precautions in their vicinity. Prior to departure after the day’s dismissal, school staff will assist in loading students to make sure they are on the correct bus to go home. Buses depart 5 minutes immediately after the bell dismissal. Therefore, it’s important that your child is on the bus immediately after school.
GETTING TO THE BUS STOP
- The bus stops have been selected to try and eliminate the need of a student to cross the roadway to wait for the bus. Every effort has been made to obtain stops in the safest available locations.
- The school bus shall load or unload pupils only at a location authorized for a regular bus stop or school activity trip.
- When approaching in a school bus stop where pupils will load or unload, the drivers shall activate the flashing red signal lights and operate them during the entire period when loading or unloading regardless of whether any students cross.
- A student must never cross the roadway while the bus is approaching or is parked at the stop, until escorted by the driver.
AT THE BUS STOP
- Arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the buses arrival schedule. Do not arrive to early. When late, walk rapidly if the bus is waiting.
- Keep hands and body away from all property at the location and stay out of the roadway.
- Wait for the bus, standing quietly, until the bus has come to a complete stop and the front door has opened.
- If not already at the bus stop when the bus driver arrives, all pupils will be escorted across the highway, public street or private road. The driver shall use an approved hand-held “STOP” sign while furnishing escort.
- There will be no running around while waiting, or shoving and scuffling while loading or unloading the bus.
Parents must meet kindergarten students at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to drop off time. If the parent is not at the bus stop to pick up his or her child, the child will be returned back to school after the route. No exceptions!
ON THE BUS…
- On the bus students will follow all instructions from the driver.
- Students must board single file in an orderly nmanner and select a seat promptly. No one may leave the seat while the bus is in motion.
- A student will not take or change to any seat assigned by the driver. No choice or “saved” seats will be held.
- Students MUST OBSERVE all rules of conduct set forth in this handout.
LEAVING THE BUS…
- At a drop off, students must remain seated on the bus until the bus has come to a complete stop, the front door is opened and the driver has given directions.
- At unloading, follow directions to exit row by row. Step down quietly and walk way from the bus.
- After leaving the bus, pupils who must corss the roadway shall cross in front of the bus only. They will be escorted by the driver, and upon direction, walk not run, completely across the roadway.
- Students must always cross the street between the driver and the front of the bus.
- Any student who has forgotten anything on the bus or dropped something on the road must tell the driver. There will be no running back once a crossing has been made.
- The school bus driver shall verify that pupils have crossed safely, and that all other unloaded pupils and pedestrians are on a safe distance from the bus and that it is safe to move before setting the bus in motion.
- After leaving the school bus students must be alert for traffic and oversee safety procedures.
- All students should go directly home after getting off the bus.