In California, about one in four of our school – age children regularly ride school buses from home to school. However, nearly all children will ride a school bus sometime during their school years for field trips, sporting events and other special functions.
Please read and discuss the information included in this web site with your son or daughter. Help your student to understand the importance of following the rules and instructions given by the bus drivers.
In California, furnishing transportation to students is not requirement of the Education Code. The Governing Board of the West Covina Unified School District has adopted Policy BP 3541, which establishes the privilege of transportation for students who reside beyond the walking distances from the school of their enrollment on a space available basis. The lower grades/youngest students have first priority. Because transportation is a privilege, failure to comply with the rules, could cause a loss of a students riding privileges.
Be aware of the Danger Zone. The danger zone is the space all around the school bus. It goes out 10 feet. The school bus driver cannot see children in this zone, especially around the wheels. Make sure your children know not to try and get anything they drop around the bus. Have then ask the driver or a teacher for help.
Did you know...
- 17 buses to serve WCUSD students including athletic events/field trips.
- TR requisition are required for all trips.
- Home to school pick up are available for special education students.
- The California Highway Patrol provide for our school bus inspections and driver testing.
- All school bus drivers participate in ongoing safety training/testing.
- On board cameras are on for student and driver safety