Eligible newly hired employees must enroll during the initial enrollment period when first employed (within 30 days from your hire date).
Subsequent to the initial enrollment period, employees may add dependents to their existing health plan due to the following qualifying events.
Qualifying events to add dependents to your health plan and their respective effective dates:
- Enrolling a newborn, first day of the month following date of birth
- Enrolling a spouse due to marriage, first day of the month following date of marriage or medical form submission
- Enrolling dependents due to a loss of coverage, first day of the month following date of loss or medical form submission
- District Open Enrollment, first day of the following calendar year
Keep in mind that there is a deadline to add dependents to your existing health plan. Qualifying events allow a 30 day window period for enrollments (30 days from the date of event). If you surpass the 30 day window period, the next opportunity to enroll dependents is during the next District Open Enrollment period with an effective date of Janaury 1 of the following year.
If enrolling your spouse or child as a dependent for the first time, a copy of your marriage license and/or birth certificates for dependent children are required. If enrolling due to a loss of coverage, proof of loss is required.
You may drop dependents at any time during the year if you experience a qualifying event, unless prohibited by law.
The District health insurance plans has an age limitiation for dependent children:
- Medical - Age 26
- Dental - Age 25, single status
- Vision - Age 25, single status
Dependents who have been dropped from your exisiting insurance have the option to continue their coverage through COBRA at their own expense (must enroll within 60 days).